Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nana Retired!

My mom just retired!!! Woo Hoo! She has been working hard as a teacher for 30 years... technically 29 years, but close enough. My mom is and will always be a teacher at heart. She truly loves to teach and cares about all her kids. She enjoys teaching her grandchild too. We always make fun of the car load of things she bring when she comes to visit. She always has games, books (oh so many books) and learning activities for the kids. They love Nana's bag of books. She loves figuring out what each child needs to be working on and then telling us how we can help. Isn't she the best??!

The girls and I went down to the end of the year luncheon at her school. 

















They serenaded the retirees with "You've Lost the Teaching Feeling." Hilarious!


The girls could have played in Nana's classroom all day...


but I was ready to get to the pool!
 Nana has the best pool in her neighborhood. It is perfect for the girls and is never crowded.

So I forgot to bring a sun hat for Abby and asked mom if she had anything Abby could wear. She pulled out a pink bonnet. Emily immediately decided she wanted to wear it... backwards. (see picture below). As we leave for the pool, she refuses to take it off. I told her she had to take it off before we could leave for the pool . However my mom disagreed and thought I should just let her wear it. She said it was expressing personality (or something like that) and isn't a big deal and I shouldn't care too much about appearances. So, I gave in and let her wear it. Thankfully she took it off before she got in the pool. However she immediately asked for it  again when it was time to head home. 

So would you have let your child wear this out? 
Is it worth the struggle to make them change?

7 comments:

Ashley said...

You probably know my answer - let them wear whatever. Totally not worth the battle, as long as it is modest.

Chuck used to tell me that I should have our girls wear a button that says "I dressed myself", but I'm pretty sure people figured it out. What is the worst that might happen if you let your daughter wear something you think is ridiculous?

Nika said...

I don't think its a big deal at all. I save my effort for the bigger battles. That is a cute picture of you and the girls with your mom!

Erin Marriott said...

Yeah, I guess just choose your battles, right? :) But I know, sometimes I'm the same way...like Alli the other day wanted to wear this Disneyland shirt with a mis matched skirt (which, I'm not a fan of characters, haha) and I held up two options. This one, or this one? She fell for it, luckily :) It's so hard sometimes being a mom!

Erin Marriott said...

p.s. I forgot to tell you, however, how cute Emily did look in that backwards bonnet though :)

Erin Marriott said...

And p.s again...Congratulations to your mom! How exciting! She is such a sweet person.

Lindsay said...

Aw, what a huge accomplishment for your sweet mom! I 'm sure she was such a wonderful teacher! I love that picture of your girls & your mom, definitely something to cherish for years to come!

Tom and Jane Schell said...

I thought she looked cute, but at times have felt the same way with our kids. They still let me pick out their clothes most days. Not worth the battle though...save it for something more important later.