Friday, January 21, 2011

Bed Rest

For those that don't know... I have been on bed rest for 3 weeks. I actually can't believe I have made it this far. On Jan 3rd, I went to the doctor complaining about possibly having Cholestatis again. It was something I had with Emily and it caused me to be very itchy all over. Pretty uncomfortable. They did a blood test for that. (It turns out I don't have it and the itching has stopped. I guess I just made all that up.) Anyways, the doctor went ahead and checked me and said I was 2 cm dilated. EEK! I was only 28 weeks. They did an ultrasound and the baby looked perfect and right on schedule for 28 weeks, about 2.5 lbs. Then I did a non stress test to make sure I was not having contractions. Everything looked fine there. They gave me steriods shots to help the maturity of the baby's lungs. The doctor told me to go on bed rest so as to stop any chances of going into labor since I was already dilated

So since then, I have been on bed rest. I have been going back to the doctor weekly for them to check me. Things have been staying the same for the last few checkups. I have gone to a different doctor in the practice each time, so it has been nice to hear different opinions. The doctor last week did not seem as concerned because the baby seemed pretty high up and he did not feel any ballooning of the sac. After hearing that, I was not as strict with my bed rest. I didn't leave the house or go anywhere, but I did walk around the house doing more cleaning and taking care of the girls.
However the doctor this week said the baby has dropped to 0 position and he did feel like the sac was ballooning/bulging. He said there is a just a membrane holding things together. When that ruptures, my water would break and then the baby would be here quickly, if she follows her sisters' deliveries. Now I am trying very hard to stay on a strict bed rest and only get up to shower and use the restroom.

I am almost 32 weeks and the doctor wants me to get to Feb. 10 (34 weeks).  I have had SOOOO much help during the past 3 weeks. Somebody comes everyday to take the girls or watch them here. We have had meals brought into us. Friends have called to check on me. My mom has been great and taken time off work to help me. She has the girls at her house right now for 4 days. Andy has had to really step it up and he cleans the house everyday and takes care of me and the girls. Andy's sister has come up to watch the girls and will be coming back next week. My sweet girls have been AWESOME. They crawl in bed with me to cuddle and watch movies. They have been great about going to other people's houses. Since I hate to post without pictures. Here are my sweet, happy girls that I love so much. Yes, they love their backpacks!



1 comment:

Carolina Chocolate said...

I'm so glad you posted this bit of info. I had no idea. We're thinking of you and praying you make it well into February. I'm so glad you have plenty of help and kudos to Andy...he's awesome. Good luck!! ;)