Monday, April 28, 2008

Happy 31st Andy!

Saturday had started off to be such a nice day. My neighbor Laura and I went out to breakfast and got pedicures. It was a nice treat, especially for Laura who is just days away from having a baby. Andy had a boy scout activity flying remote controlled airplanes, so he took Emily to that and they were gone until after lunch. So I had the whole morning to myself!!! Of course, I just cleaned the whole house but it was nice to do without a child making a mess behind you. I think Emily also enjoyed her morning with Daddy. She has started to prefer him instead of me sometimes, which I think is good. However I do need to teach Andy how to do Emily's hair because I have no idea what is going on with it in this picture.

However the relaxing day ended when Emily got the stomach bug I had earlier in the week. The diareaha started and just kept coming! Poor Emily eventually started getting up and holding my hand and walking me back to the bedroom for diaper changes.


And I can't forget to mention that Saturday was Andy's 31st birthday!!! So we had plans to have some friends and my sister over and grill some steaks. We gave a forewarning of Emily's illness, but they came over anyways. Andy had a wonderful dinner... on the back porch with just him and Jonathan eating steak and drinking chocolate milk (his favorite combination). Meanwhile, the ladies inside managed to eat bites in between the crying, fighting and pushing of 5 kids. I made Andy a "Strawberry Swirl Cake" which was very yummy, however it was definitely lacking in presentation. It was supposed to be 2 layers with the cream and strawberries in the middle. The problem came when I tried to get the layers out of the pans... they just fell apart. I have since read tips on the website that suggested lining the pans with wax paper. Would have helped if I read that BEFORE I made the cake.


Here is what the cake was supposed to look like:













However here is what mine looked like:




Luckily I have a wonderful husband who would never dare complain about anything I ever made. He is also a wonderful dad. He really took care of Emily this weekend while she was sick. She just wanted to be held all the time and he loved holding her. He sat in her room rocking her when she would wake up in the middle of the night. He loves his little girl and we love him so much. Happy Birthday Andy!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

What the cake lacked in presentation was made up in taste. It was DELICIOUS!

It was good to see you. I hope you are all feeling well.

Nana said...

I think you should of just doubled the icing recipe. But what do I know. Cooking and nursing are not my things. I could have helped Andy with Emily's hairdo and kept those 5 children entertained. Happy Birthday Andrew. You are a wonderful son-in-law, husband, and father!

Tom and Jane Schell said...

Happy Birthday Andy! The cake looked yummy...taste is all that matters in my book.